A wedding is one of the only times in your life where you will spend thousands of dollars in a matter of months and not think twice about it. It is also a time that you can turn your spending into miles for your honeymoon, or any other trip you may take down the road.
To maximize miles when paying for a wedding put everything, and I mean everything that you can, on your points earning credit card. There are so many expenses for a wedding – from the dress, venue, flowers, food, drinks, decor, photography and more. This gives you a lot of opportunities to use your credit card and earn miles as you put down deposits and final payments for the wedding.
You can earn even more points by:
- Opening a branded credit card if you’re getting married at a hotel. With a hotel branded credit card you can earn around 5 points per dollar on all expenses at the hotel. This can add up as the venue rental, food, and drink will all be billed under the hotel.
- Using your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to pay for your food and drink expenses on the first Friday of the month to earn 3 points per dollar vs. the standard 2 points. I was able to pay my bill early to maximize my points.
- Offering to put things on your card, even if someone else is paying for it. You can keep the points and have them write you a check to cover it.
- Using a shopping portal to earn miles on anything you purchase online for the wedding.
- Opting to earn miles on your hotel. I was able to earn 3,000 United miles for a 2 night stay in a suite at the Dana Hotel, where I stayed the night before the wedding and both of us stayed together after the wedding.
Things NOT to do:
- Don’t select your vendors based on the fact that they take credit cards. Many of my best vendors did phenomenal work, but were smaller companies who did not take credit cards. I would choose quality and reliability over miles any day of the week.
- Don’t spend more money than you would have in order to earn miles – stick with your budget and if everything else is the same, always go for the lowest cost item.
- Don’t turn into a pointszilla. Weddings are stressful as it is, don’t let this become an added stressor.
We were able to leverage all of the miles that we earned to book our honeymoon flights to southeast Asia! We will have more installments on places that we went and things that we did during our 3 week adventure in coming posts.